Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Graduation and enrollment rates of different schools and US college retention rates

Sink or Swim: A Guide to College Graduation Rates
(This interesting analysis is shared by Allison Morris who was part of the team which prepared this featured article).

College graduation usually conjures up images of black hats getting thrown into the air and refrains of pomp and circumstance. What you don’t see, however, is the swell who started at the same time as the robe-clad flock but aren’t graduating — a number that would triple the size of grads (and make the ceremony even longer). In fact, at four-year colleges only 31.3% of students actually graduate from the school. The other 68.7% might be sitting at home, working a job that doesn’t require a degree, or maybe they’re still chipping away at the books after switching majors or signing up for a lengthy program.


The latter is evident: The number swells to 56% who graduate within six years of starting. On the surface, it might seem like today’s student is lazy or lacks follow-through, but a closer examination reveals steep costs of schooling and family responsibilities a bigger decision-maker for college dropouts. Of course, the numbers vary widely across colleges, with some earning gold stars for graduating their students and others earning the nickname “dropout factories.” We take a closer look at the best and worst of 2-year and 4-year schools to help degree-seekers navigate to a college that will help them stay afloat.

For full story, please click the following link:
http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2013/04/29/sink-or-swim-college-graduation-rates/

Source: www.onlinecolleges.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive